The Boeing 787 Dreamliner uses new technology to accomplish better operating costs as well as the use of lithium ion batteries – is the Boeing 787 Dreamliner doomed to failure because of this new technology?
A Number Of Incidents
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner has suffered a number of incidents, among which were:
- 1 of 6 electrical generators failed in-flight;
- December 2013 – Mechanical problems were discovered involving cracks in the engines on two aircraft;
- January 7, 2013 – A battery fire ignited an empty JAL 787 at Boston’s Logan airport;
- January 8, 2013- A 40 gallon fuel leak occurred as the aircraft taxied at Boston’s Logan airport;
- January 16, 2013 – Irregular battery activity and smoke in the forward electrical compartment results in an emergency landing;
- Other problems were:
- Oil leaks;
- Brake problems;
- Cracks in cockpit windscreens;
FAA Begins Comprehensive Review Of Boeing 787 Dreamliner
The FAA has decided to take a closer look at the problems with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner in light of the rash of problems encountered to date. Here is a PBS video discussing this:
Lithium Ion Batteries
There are 2 lithium ion batteries in the Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, both of which are provided by a Japanese manufacturer. These batteries are a change from using contemporary nickel-cadmium batteries because of their ability to provide 100% greater energy storage capacity doubling the energy available from the same sized unit.
A spokesman for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner stated:
“The systems are all electric, and Boeing’s design priority on the 787 — aside from safety — was to have a system that could generate enough electricity,” Norris said. “This thing produces as much as electricity as a small village; you could power 400 houses or thereabouts just with electricity generated on this airplane.”
You can find more up to date information on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner at All Things 787.
I think that the Boeing 787 Dreamliner is a great aircraft and – over time – it will prove it’s mettle and become one of the icons of American ingenuity and destiny.
Learn how the Boeing 787 Dreamliner became a reality in this fascinating book: The Birth of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner
In the meantime keep your wings straight and level Hersch!
Please share “Is The Boeing 787 Dreamliner Doomed To Failure?” with your friends using the buttons below. Thanks!
ps: Don’t forget to sign up for updates via email for “All Things Aviation” here!